Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Counting Blessings

Yesterday was tough. Bad news, hard time with the little ones, arthritis in my back acting up, and financial crud from single parenting. It all adds up, and it had boiled over for me.

On top of it all, I had to go to the grocery store.  So I dragged my two youngest to the local market, trudged up and down the aisles, trying not to burst into tears in public.

When we had everything we needed, I went to the only open lane and began simultaneously unloading the cart and trying to corral the kids.

The cashier was a young man about the same age as my second oldest, about 17 or 18.  As he began scanning our items, he asked the kids how much they thought it would be. He turned it into a game, and the kids were happy to play along. He ended up keeping them occupied until the groceries were bagged and we were on our way.

That young man had no idea how much weight he lifted from my shoulders with that one simple gesture.

It hit me today that I was so busy complaining yesterday that I neglected to remember to praise the blessings, too.  That needed to be rectified!

Today after work I went back to the store and asked to speak with a manager. I told him vaguely about the stress I'd been under and how much the cashier's actions had relieved so much of that stress. Turns out, that manager and the young man he employs really needed the uplift from the compliment, too.

No matter how stressed you are, or what's going on in your life, be sure to acknowledge the good things in the middle of your mess.

No comments: