Tuesday, October 12, 2004

One big, happy family...?



The following is a letter I wrote to a friend of mine, and I decided to blog it... Sort of airing my frustrations.

My cousin died in July, and the whole family decided to make amends. In public, anyway. Behind closed doors they still gossip and bicker. Anyway, it was the first time in 23 years that I had known my mother to hug her mother. Both of these women are expert at deceit and secretive maliciousness. They've hated each other for decades, and they're very sneaky, which is why I keep my distance as much as possible. It's also why I refuse to be dishonest. I refuse to be like them.

My sister moved here from Indiana, and it raised a huge stir. Mom was really hoping to claim my sister's kids on her taxes another year. She even went to the extent of giving my unlisted address (you can't find it in the system at all) to Sis's convicted felon ex-husband (whom Sis has a restraining order against) a few weeks ago. That night, an officer showed up at my door asking if Sis was here to check to see "if she is ok". Might sound innocent to an extent, until you realize that I have never met this person or his family, and Mom already knew where my sister was. We had talked to her earlier that day.

Anyway, the latest stunt they're pulling is that my mother and family from Indiana are coming up here to Wisconsin to my grandmother's home for Thanksgiving. Sis and I are not supposed to know about it, nor are we invited. Very sweet of them, isn't it?

I have gone to the home of some friends for the holidays for the last year, anyway. Otherwise, Sis and I both learned to cook for ourselves very early on (we had to if we wanted to eat sometimes), and we both make a mean turkey.

Ahh, those warm family times....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

chanemza, that is a spooky story. ahhh, you know how to cook a turkey! in ways your story reminds me of my ex's family. her mom was dying in my front yard (i had moved a mobile home there for her, to have her close). my ex's sister was the most bizzare excuse for a person. she would call 24 times a day. as the death of my ex's mom approached, she became more erratic. i had to go to austin and express the desire to keep her in a mental institution. this is true. anyway, the long and short of it is her mom died, but i kept mom laughing the whole way. it was my privilege. anyway, true story. keep writing chanemza. i am zmanzero, i'm real. the search engines will confirm that. zentner.blogspot.com. cya, peace, and sweet dreams...

Anonymous said...

chanemza, i posted a long (to me) comment on your blog concerning this post, but, as i am still a computer idiot, i fear that i blew it. anyway, if it doesn't come through, hang in there. keep writing. i am zmanzero. zentner.blogspot.com. you can see your blog listed if you use the yahoo search engine and type in zmanzero. all the other search engines work too, but that is the only one that lists your blog. until now. peace, cya, sweet dreams chanemza.

Shanna said...

Thank you for the comments.... and for the words in your blog :)